And now a little snag

Click here for Quilt Block 1E pdf

I was stitching away on the next section, an area of gobelin stitches with smyrnas, and ran into a problem. For those of you who are “stash diving” you may experience the same problems!

I got the gobelin stitches done with no problem.

Do you see how the color looks different? That’s due to how the light reflects off different angles of the same thread. I used the same color thread for the entire section, but it looks a little different due to the light reflection. I’m happy with the dark color and the number of strands I used. I used 3 strands for this section instead of the 2 strands for the byzantine areas, and I like the coverage much better.

Next I stitched the Smyrnas that go in the spaces, using the original light metallic, Kreinik #8 192, I had thought I wanted.

OK, a little lighter than I thought it would show up, but I went on to the next step. I waited for this part because I wasn’t sure it would be needed. I stitched a slanted stitch with the metallic over the gobelin stitches, using the same light colored metallic.

Better, I liked the overlay, but the more I looked at the light colored metallic the more I didn’t like it.

I stitched the next section, this time with a darker metallic, Kreinik #8 007.

OK, I liked the darker color better, but still not quite right. When I went “stash diving” I had pulled Kreinik #8 007 and #8 007HL. The HL didn’t have the rose-gold cast to it but seemed to be a purer pink. The more I looked at it, the more I didn’t like the 007, and decided to stitch the next section with the 007HL to see if I liked it better. Of course, before I did that I had pulled out the lighter metallic and restitched it with the 007, so now I had 2 sections with the 007.

I stitched the third section with the 007HL, and I liked it better than the 007. Sigh. So I finished stitched the third and fourth sections with the 007HL, then went back and pulled out the 007 so I could restitch with the 007HL. This is before I pulled out the 007, so you can see that the difference is extremely slight, but enough that I wanted to redo it.

The two upper sections are with the 007, the lower right section is with the 007HL.

You know what – I HATE ripping out. Usually when I write instructions and pull threads I don’t make any changes when I actually stitch. This time I did. I like the final product and am glad I took the time to rip out and restitch.

Here are the diagrams for this area.

I hope you’re having fun with this little project. I love to see what you’re doing so be sure to share your stitching with me on this page, on Facebook or Instagram.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.